In the mail today

A slick flyer with beautiful children (stock photos?) in happy pictures of getting on school buses, writing on chalkboards (with a very low-cut shirt) and wearing caps and gowns arrived in the mail today along with several toy catalogs(?!).

The flyer is from an outfit called Citizens for Kids who wants me to vote yes on a bond issue for the OKC public schools. I don't know who the citizens are or if they have children in this school district but the group shares the same address with chamber. So definitely, yes, they are for the kids, I mean, for "education."

I just had to stop and reflect on who I've become and all that's changed in our hearts, practices and beliefs since we left public school. Not long ago, I'd have a Vote Yes for the Kids sign in my yard. Now I feel like my parents or neighbor who have never met a bond issue/tax increase they liked.

Citizens for Kids says they've "seen the progress of Maps for Kids and have every reason to be proud."

Really? I'm still waiting to see the progress. My only reference is for our neighborhood school. We remember being thrilled when Maps for Kids passed because our school was going to have a five million dollar renovation (that's what the slick flyer said anyway) and would change to a PK-8 school from PK - 5. This was back before our son started school ... so I thought certainly all of that construction would happen well before he entered sixth grade thereby taking care of the fear of sending our kids to middle school in OKC.

He's in fourth grade now. And not a shovel has been turned.

But there have been architectural plans drawn. And redrawn.

They were drawn to make this one school a K-8 facility. Then the former supt didn't like that voter approved model, so the plans were redrawn for a K-6 facility. Then the plans were redrawn when money was taken away from our school to accommodate growth in other parts of the district. It was redrawn when the gym was taken away.

This all happened before we left our school three years ago. (For different reasons than construction ... mostly God's perfect timing!)

Did I mention not one shovel has been turned yet? I still drive by the place.

How much Maps for Kids money has been spent on architectural plans that have been drawn and drawn again. Just for one school. There are about 50 more elementary schools in the district. No one will ever know because no one cares. There are no legitimate watchdogs to this program. All of the news media applauds it, the newspaper prints nauseating editorials endorsing it. Who watches the money? Where's the accountability?

This slick flyer also says that if I vote yes, "we can build new classrooms for all-day kindergarten, improve safety and security, ensure our students have the technology they need, replace buses and build 47 gymnasiums."

Okay. This makes me excited to send my five year old child to school all-day in a building that will be able to be on lockdown with safety and security to protect him from bad people who will come in with guns?

At least he'll have a gym!

Then again, no thanks. We'll learn to read at home.

I know I sound very judgmental and probably hypocritical.

Our home school is dependent on God's will, and we could be back in a school setting, even in OKC, someday. It's his deal. And to be sure, I ask Him about it all of the time! If we went back, I guess I'd ask questions again. It's just my nature. The former supt dismissed me when I asked a question. Quite rudely. The principal scolded me for asking questions. Enough.

It is easier to be home. And I love it. And praise God for erasing that distraction from my number one priority of raising our kids to love God. That could not happen for us at school. It wasn't very long ago that Giles told me something he remembered hearing on the playground back when he was in first grade. It was naughty and involved dill pickles. FIRST GRADE. And I bagged those stinking pickles every single week and sold them for a quarter! FIRST GRADE.

I don't know about this vote. I don't believe all day kindergarten equals better schools. I don't believe this added money (even without raising taxes) is the answer. I believe they could have done it and done it well with the money they had. And could have been DONE with it by now.

I'm finding it pretty easy to not vote. Go apathy.

Which reminds me, I recently read Barack Obama's book, The Audacity of Hope. I just love that title, and finally checked the book out at the library. Interesting read. He is an excellent writer with a beautiful style. Great vocabulary. Great insight into the founding of our country. Excellent analysis of history concerning the Senate, the presidency and Americans. Neat stories about meeting "W" and other important people.

He had an interesting upbringing living for a few years in Indonesia. I agree on some points regarding his worldview and what part America plays and should play in it. Including the observation that most of us don't know where Indonesia is (I do thanks to our world map shower curtain!)

He does a good bit of whining about being absent from his wife and children. But thinks he has a higher calling that will make their world a better place.

Not saying I'm going to get an "O" bumper sticker or anything. But I think I like him. Giles doesn't approve of my opinion! But he's not HER. No doubt he would run off to the Catskills if I brought home one of Hillary's books.

Has Fred Thompson written any books? Or will Law & Order reruns do? (I like him too.)

1 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Dawn!

    You should still be on the news, but you should have your own opinion section, like a column, but on the radio!

    Fred Thompson wrote a book about Watergate in 1975. Probably not very inspiring, though. There's also a book out now about government waste & spending, and it's authored by "The Fred Thompson Report," whatever that means.

    But I'm not planning to vote for him, as far as I know in September 2007. Not voting for the MAPS thing, either, but I'm pretty sure I'm not even eligible.

    LYMI

    PE