But it was ten years ago

We've been getting one of those annoying "800 service" calls a lot. I normally don't answer them. But we were getting the same call in the 8 am hour and the 8 or 9 pm hour, I finally gave in and picked up to make it go away.

It was Arbritron! After all of my years of living (and not answering the phone), the radio ratings people called ME! They wanted my opinions about what radio stations I like! (Were they in for a surprise.) The nice man on the phone even promised small monetary gifts for the participation of each member of our household over age 18.

Oh the opportunity! We could finally give some love to all of the non-profit and am radio stations we listen to. The talks, the Christian stations, and even the NPRs! Those stations hardly ever break the ratings, so maybe we'd help give them a blip!

But then that nice man on the phone asked the last question: Do you or anyone in your household work for a radio station?

My inane answer: not currently.

Why did I feel compelled to say that? It was a yes or no question.

He had to disqualify me. It was a disappointing for both of us. I'm sure he lost out on a small monetary gift as well.

But alas, this time ten years ago (TEN YEARS?), I did my second tour of duty in radio (between PR gigs). Good old KTOK!

But now I've been tagged, and they'll never call again. I wish the Republican Party and those folks who want us to come to Branson would do the same.

3 comments:

  1. I do a lot of online surveys, and was wondering at the beginning of the story why they let you comment (because of your past employment). Sometimes I am disqualified because of my publishing employment, even if the survey is about magazines or popular fiction, which has nothing to do with my job.
    Your favorite Houghton Mifflin employee

     
  2. I think the guy on the phone said he should have asked me that upfront, but we were both so excited that I was excited to do the survey that he got off of his script.

     
  3. LOL. Well, maybe you helped HIM choose a better radio station for himself!
    Angi